Wednesday, May 05, 2010

You're My Yoko

You’d have to go back to 1995’s I Was A Mod Before You Was A Mod album to find the most recent Television Personalities song that’s as good as You’re My Yoko. Woozy psychedelic keyboards, quietly classic 60s pop guitar and a shivering vocal sound like they’re on the verge of collapse but just about hold it together.

This return to form is further evidence that Dan Treacy is at least the equal to Ray Davies as England’s greatest ever songwriter – you know, if anyone’s compiling a dossier for Dan's inclusion in the Hall Of Fame.

You could play You’re My Yoko after Someone To Share My Life With, If I Could Write Poetry, Stop And Smell The Roses, Magnificent Dreams and If That’s What Love Is, and it would stand as an equal. You might have a nervous breakdown if you played them one after the other, but personal torment is the father of these songs...

No comments: