Thursday, June 28, 2007

Sparring partners

There have in recent weeks been moments – but only moments – when my breast has swelled with such love for my fellow bloggers that I have pledged at various times to upload sundry pop songs of yore for their listening pleasure.

Nancy has stood up to be counted as a Korova Milk Bar fan; in the spirit of comradeship and support-group help, I promised to post their debut ep. I am a man of my word.
Ridiculous
Calling Me Again/Desire

For reasons that I forget now (but it had something to do with summer songs) both Ally and myself agreed that it would be a very good idea to post some Grab Grab The Haddock. Ally has, apparently, the decorators in (shut up, the joke’s already been made); seeing as there are no obstacles to accessing my records, it has fallen to me to post them.
I’m Used Now

Last Fond Goodbye

It is worth, I think, sharing the line-up and duties listed on the back of their debut ep:
Alice Fox – vociferation and percussion
Steve Galloway – geetar, melodic guitar and piano
Lester Noel – guitar, piano, congas and bassdrum
Jane Fox – bass, bowed bits, celeste and minstrelsy

There isn’t, I sometimes (I wouldn’t want you to think I fret continuously over this) think, enough of the celeste in popular music.

Lastly, Chris has expressed an interest in The Caretaker Race’s Somewhere On Sea. This was, I think, their best moment. You will notice the Spanish-y guitar break which ties this song to 1987 (see also: Forever Steven by The Corn Dollies and La Isla Bonita by Madonna).

4 comments:

nancy said...

Thanks for thinking of me, FireEscape, much appreciated!

ally. said...

well done sunshine
x

i'd just dug out my haddock tunes too

Anonymous said...

Hey - amazed that anyone remembers 'Somewhere On Sea' - our first record. Thanks
Andy Strickland The Caretker Race

Fire Escape said...

Thanks for dropping by! I never forget a good record.