Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Maia Hirasawa


In a year already rich with classic releases, And I Found This Boy by Maia Hirasawa sounds, on the first fifteen listens, like the best song of the past decade. It's an adrenaline-soaked rush of pop perfection that barrels along with the carefree abandon found late on in every nightclub when the drinks have flowed, the neckties have been loosened and the blood pressure's pumping.

A tale of a one-night stand, And I Found This Boy is by turns rapturous and remorseful, capturing the essence of the greatest American musicals, the seductive drama of a John Hughes movie and - yes! - the Magnetic Fields playing prom night with a full orchestra.

You will love this song. The video, too, is absolutely wonderful. Both are so cute I could smack them.

And I Found This Boy
This song features handclaps.

Maia's day job is being part of Hello Saferide, whose My Best Friend you should check out.
My Best Friend
This song features the pay-off line "Damn! I wish I was a lesbian, and that you were too."

No comments: