Monday, November 17, 2008

Moe Tucker and Jonathan Richman

This guy in Boston called me. Somehow he'd gotten a hold of a tape of Jonathan Richman and I doing I'm Sticking With You (from 1974). We'd known Jonathan since he was 14. He used to come to Velvets shows so we knew him forever. So we just recorded the song and never released it- it was just done for fun. This guy had the tapes and wanted to release it on his own little label.

Moe and JoJo's version of I'm Sticking With You was eventually released in 1980 on Boston's Varulven label. Cute, huh?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have two beat up old college radio copies of this...there's a really nice insert that came with it too (a repro of a show flyer, recording info). It was recorded with the line-up that would do the non-Lou LP Squeeze, and Willie Alexander (another Boston legend) sings a verse on it. I swear to christ I once saw a 12" version of this as well, but that was almost 20 years ago. Maybe I'm imagining I saw it. OK, after seeing Joe Viglione's Varulen eBay store, it seems it ended up getting fleshed out as a Moe Tucker 12" EP called "Another View".

Anonymous said...

Sorry for the misspelling. That's Varulven...if you're willing to part with $50 USD for one song, you're a better man than I am.

Fire Escape said...

Thanks for the info, John. If I were a richer man, I'd pay $50 for a Jonathan Richman song, but maybe not a Moe Tucker one...my 7" doesn't have that flyer you mention, but I've seen copies of it in the past...